Sunday 29 March 2015

The Rumbling Bass

Tim Foust is the bass singer of Home Free. You know what a bass guitar does in a band with instruments, right? This is only part of what Tim does with his voice in this band. When I first started to listen to Home Free it was partly because of Tim, not because of his awesome bass lines, but because of how low he can sing. And because I love his voice in general. Along the way I discovered that he, and his voice, is so much more than just that.

To be honest, I have never really noticed bass lines before discovering Tim. It's just something that's been there, in a good way, but it's never really caught my attention before.

Tim actually has a 5 octave range allowing him to sing almost as high as Austin, the band's high tenor, and lower than anybody can think. It is said that when you are in the audience of a live show and Tim goes down low you can actually feel it rumbling in your body. How cool is that? I can't wait until I get to find that out first hand.

Tim was born and raised in Texas, and in high school he studied and performed classical music, and he sang in the school choir. He was a pre-dental at University before dropping out to pursue a career in music, which is where his passion lays. Over the years he has appeared on albums with a couple of other groups before Home Free. He has shared a stage with famous artists such as Gladys Knight and Kenny Loggins. He also pursued a solo career and has a great country solo album out called "The Best That I Can Do". You can find it on iTunes and Amazon as mp3 downloads. I love this album, by the way. Tim has also worked as a featured writer and is a skilled songwriter, and some of his songs are on the Home Free albums Crazy Life and Full of Cheer  (available for purchase on their website, just click their name at the top of this post). I will feature some of his original songs in a later post.

This extremely talented man does a lot of the arranging of the songs, and is also known for his sarcastic and witty sense of humour; which shows in some of his songs, and also during the live shows. You can also see it in his "What Burns My Brisket" series on the Home Free website.

After singing on and off with Home Free for a year or two he joined them full-time in 2011.

Just as in the post about Adam Rupp, the band beat boxer, I will share with you two videos to feature Tim. The first is a live video from their Spring Tour Tour, and again it is filmed by the awesome Heidi. Check out her YouTube channel for more videos here.

This first video is a cover of Josh Turner's "Your Man", and you get to hear some of the 5 octave range I mentioned; and see some of the band's goofiness.


How low can you go?

The second video is a cover of Avicii's "Wake Me Up" and I want you to listen to the bass line in this one. To me, this is way better than any bass guitar I have ever heard.



What do you think?

Love//
Carina

2 comments:

  1. I love that Tim gets to sing as well as do all the bass. His voice is so beautiful and he has such control when he sings from top to bottom of the scale. I have such respect for Tim, his wit is flawless, his charm is addictive and his voice, well I have found noone that can compare.. He is a man in his own league... Hat of to you Tim, you are simply the best in the industry to date. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent and charismic personality with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got it right........................yet again!!

    ReplyDelete